One of the steps in preparing for death is to come to deeply understand death. The following comprehensive article, entitled “Buddhism and Death” by Maurice O’Connell Walshe (1911-98), covers the following points, and also provides an informative context for meditation on death:
- The great unmentionable – death
- The traditional Christian view
- The modern secular view
- The Buddhist attitude
- Implications of “survivalism” and “annihilationism”
- Death and the Buddhist
- Psychology of survivalism and anti-survivalism
- Spiritualism and the occult
- What is death?
- What is rebirth?
- Death and the Arahant
- Meditation and death
- Appendix: science and survival